Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Official Thumbs Down On The Cold War Kids.


Last night I went to Chapel Hill to see a concert. The main reason I went was to see Tokyo Police Club. Who were just as good as I'd expected them to be. They are a fantastic, energetic band, with good songs and great hooks. It was just really good. Amanda was contemplating trying to get a few questions out of the band, but realized there wasn't much she could ask. The band is just good, and we could only think to ask them if they think they're as good as we think they are. It's just really good rock, and there's not much else I can say or think about it.

They were opening for The Cold War Kids. As Pitchfork said, please, bloggers, place your hyperbolic praise on something worth it. Like an earthy, conservative Pearl Jam, Cold War Kids is an easy pick. Easy as in lazy. It sounds like the good moments from bands that you liked years before, just not as good, and nowhere near as interesting. Add to that, Cold War Kids are conservatives.

At the end of hidden track "Sermons vs. the Gospel", which dismisses The
New York Times, psychoanalysis, and European vacations before somehow
absolving "stealing from the poor," Willett yowls, "Lord, have mercy on me/
I believe the words can change the heart" from pitchfork

So, I can't hang with Gingrichian rock. Milquetoast Gingrichian rock at that.

The surprise of the night was openers The Delta Spirit. Taking Rhett Miller's egomania out of The Old 97s and inserting harmonies straight outta "Music From Big Pink", Delta Spirit sound like they should be from New Orleans. Maybe they are, their website says California, though. Maybe they got moved by Katrina? I'm going to go with myth, and assume they're from La. and not L.A. As if I was listening to Creedence in the 60's, I'd be completely fooled by the feeling of location I get from this band. They were more in the mold of Cold War Kids than Tokyo Police Club, so the transitions between sets were fairly weird, alt-country/indie-punk/alt. rock. Delta Spirit played with conviction and swerve that seemed genuine. (Cold War Kids' conviction and swerve seemed rehearsed, playing up close to each other, pained facial expressions with every word.) Delta Spirit's songs aren't as interesting on CD, as I found from listening to their ep "I Think I've Found It!". That bristling energy and belief in song that were so apparent on stage get watered down on disc. At the very least, they're a band to watch. I'd go see them again without hesitation.

No comments: