Friday, February 16, 2007

Fugazi

what i'm listening to right now: In On The Kill Taker by Fugazi

It's been a long time since I've sat down and listened to Fugazi non-stop. As a teenager I was fucking obsessed with Fugazi. They were the greatest. band. ever. I was political, angry, loved loud, intricate music. I'm still all of those things, but for some reason, I had gotten away from listening to them with the frequency of when I first heard them.

So today, I was listening to the mix CD that my girlfriend, Amanda made me for Valentine's Day. She put "Furniture" by Fugazi on it. As soon as the song was over, I put in a CD I hadn't listened to in maybe a year, Steady Diet Of Nothing. My first Fugazi CD. Followed shortly thereafter by every CD they made in a matter of weeks. I really liked Steady Diet, but was unprepared for the way that Repeater would affect me. It sounds incredibly cheesy, but Repeater kind of changed the way I thought about the world. In a teenage context that makes complete sense.
In the pre-ipod era, I was pushing carts at Target and listening to CDs on my walkman. It was one of the coldest nastiest winters I can remember. I think I was in ninth or tenth grade. And I was just pushing carts to see them reappear moments later. Having nothing to show for my work. That Fugazi CD was the one I listened to the most then. Over and over again. And the ultra-left sloganeering of Guy and Ian, the hypnotic bass, and those crazy ass drums sold me. I quit my job shortly thereafter. I actually got in a car wreck before I could quit. And Fugazi was on 88.1, the college radio station, moments before I was hit by a car and then hit a lightpost.
I got real political after that CD. I wasn't much of a political person before then. My father was (is) a conservative, and Fugazi were liberal. I had to choose a side. My dad hadn't and still hasn't made any records, Fugazi made 8 records. Fugazi won. That, and Republicans stand for everything that's wrong in the world. That might have influenced my decision somewhat.
I miss Fugazi, I wish they would get back together. I've really liked the Evens records. Especially on their newest one, you can hear where certain songs would be amazing Fugazi songs. Sigh.


No comments: